Patterns and Best Practices
I Analyzed 250 SaaS Pricing Pages — Here’s What I Found
Benjamin Brandall walked according to pages of rates of 250 cloud services and wrote out basic approaches to their creation. Feature of sales to large business are personal negotiations under the terms therefore many do not specify the price on the website at all.
Authors of the GoodUI project added excellent dashbord with examples from readers, showing as far as specific technicians of increase of conversion helped. These are the simple examples and descriptions working also as a set evristik, and now also with efficiency confirmation.
"Touch Keyboard" Implementations Have Improved Just of 9% Since 2013 (60% of Still Get it Wrong)
Baymard Institute staticized big researches of mobile online stores, devoted to entry methods. It describes ideal behavior of the keyboard of phone depending on the entered data. Progress in two years extremely insignificant — total improvement of a usability for 9%.
It is a little more fresh from Baymard:
- In addition to it they started a crib on data entry fields on mobile, including code samples.
- Research of interfaces of a design of the order for mobile.
Letters of mailing
- Zurb will start the second version of the framework Foundation for Email soon. Earlier it was called Ink.
- Lauren Smith investigates ten important changes in the market of e-mail clients and their influence on designers of mailing groups.
Design of links
Guidelines of platforms and companies
Apple iOS 9
- Luke Wroblewski demonstrated, process of the initial iPhone setup became how more difficult.
- Tyler Howarth from the Medium command collected a crib by the sizes of areas for display of interfaces to iPhone and iPad — full-screen and within multitasking panels.
- The iPhone 6 templates for Photoshop.
- Reflections of Paco Soria based on emergence of the lower panel in Google + on that, it is how admissible to violate guidelines of platforms.
Templates of Android-phones
Principles of design
Uniform language of animation
- The article Donovan Hutchinson on the description of language of animation and guidelines for it. Explains need and offers the categorization.
Design of the state systems
AIC, Artyom Geller's Laboratory and SmartTeleMax laid the foundation to open and systematic work on radical improvement of representation of the state and the state services in a network. In the blog already several publications with useful templates.
Understanding of the user
Large-Scale Image Memorability
The interesting research MIT that the good, memorable illustration means. They give the tool and API for verification of pictures on a memorability. Small overview.
U mad bro? Researchers measure emotion with your mouse clicks
Interesting research — Brigham Young University studied cursor movement of a mouse and a clique to define emotions of the user. Found out what people in the angered status do less precisely.
Speed of operation of interfaces
- Third part of article of Denis Mishunov about the speed of operation of interfaces. It gives 10 principles from psychology influencing perception of time and gives advice on processing of each of them in the interface.
Micro-moments — Are you designing for them?
Muriel Garreta Domingo how to use idea of the micro moments from Google in practice. In article there is the most interesting sending on research of one of restaurants which compared records of surveillance cameras 2004 and 2014 of year — phones drag out process twice.
How to Train Your Human — Designing for Healthier Habits
One more sensible material on model of an involvement of the user of Nir Eyal.
- Luke Wroblewski was on performance of BOB Moesta, the author of the concept of jobs to be done. He summarized the main theses of the story.
Design for children
- The American academy of pediatrics conducted a series of researches and says that babies can use tablets, though with care. It is just part of a modern environment of the house, continuation of the analog world.
Information architecture, conceptual design, content strategy
Avi Parush — Conceptual Design for Interactive Systems, 1st Edition
There was a book Avi Parush "Conceptual Design for Interactive Systems" devoted to conceptual models in design of interfaces and in general to high-level design. UXMatters publishes the head No. 9 of it.
Design and design of screens of the interface
Adobe CC 2015
- November Photoshop CC 2015 updating. The improved artborda, export to SVG, development of the tach-interface and Creative Cloud libraries.
Figma — The collaborative interface design tool
One of the most interesting instruments of prototyping which appeared lately. It is Google Docs for designers — several people can work on the interface at the same time. The small announcement from authors. A little more on it:
- Fast Co Design talked to Dylan Field and Evan Wallace, creators of the tool.
- About approach of the tool to work with grids.
- The latest news about the tool. Record on a beta opened — it is necessary to pass small poll. However, it will be initially available only to Mack.
- What will enter a beta and the first updates after it.
Koncept — Usability testing on real users & High-fidelity application prototypes
The new Koncept tool tries to combine possibilities of prototyping and a usability testing from a box. About what happens to a prototype after creation, it was much told on panel discussion of conference of Google SPAN - it is one of principal directions of development.
Tumult Hype Pro
- There was Pixate Studio 2.0. Work acceleration, a possibility of use of video and audio, is a lot of completions on the interface. And a few days ago the hearing went that the tool was contracted, but as a result left much better than with Form which was not updated year.
- Authors announced Canvas, new generation of the tool with a possibility of design and animation directly in service.
- The most detailed step-by-step tutorial on creation of a prototype in Marvel from Marc Andrew (transfer). In the first part of article the same analysis of creation of initial models in Sketch.
- Sketch leaves AppStore and will extend and be updated from the website Bohemian Coding.
- Plug-in for synchronization of styles between several designers.
- The plug-in quickly inserts into the photo model from Unsplash drain.
- Transfer of the complete guide to design of iOS 9 in Sketch from Meng To.
Generators of avatars and names
Reviews and comparisons of instruments of prototyping
- Carol Liao made very competent comparison of seven popular instruments of prototyping and animation on different types of tasks. InVision, Pixate, Principle, Form, Origami, Framer, Xcode.
Holding Off on High Fidelity
Salesforce command instruction on gradual increase of extent of study of design from sketches to interactive prototypes.
- Tilda processed instruments of work with forms and in general instruments of collecting and unloading of data.
User researches and testing, analytics
Uncovering user goals with the Episodic Interview
David Travis instruction from UserFocus on carrying out the user interviews out of a real context of respondents.
- Jeff Sauro quotes Rolf Molich, the coauthor of a technique of a heuristic assessment, that it is necessary to distinguish its and just expert assessment.
One more service of a remote usability testing. Web, mobile web, applications.
A Guide To Simple And Painless Mobile User Testing
The small instruction from Colman Walsh on mobile testing by means of Reflector.
Visual programming and design in the browser
Can You Code This UI Concept?
Recently even more often concepts with Dribbble and Behance turn into real scripts on CodePen and other resources with code samples. The blog MaterialUp collected five such pieces. Similar examples:
- The participant of Russian Design Cup 2015 Pavel Laptev collected animation of the solution. And one more animation from it — emergence of the menu by means of CSS3 and GSAP library.
See the Pen Pull Down to Refresh (Paper Plane) of by Nikolay Talanov (@suez) on CodePen.
Animation in Responsive Design
Val Head brings up one more important issue about animation in a web — its work in adaptive design. It describes two basic approaches — review of logic of work of animation for different contexts and shift of blocks with new triggers.
Live guidelines and component systems
- Jump.js library for soft scrolling.
- The excellent website showing possibilities of modern browsers and availability specific in current.
- As the calc CSS function () can replace part of work of preprocessors.
- Methods of stylization of sliders in forms.
- The animated navigation according to the card for long-rid.
- JSFiddle was updated.
- How to make the correct tabs in the interface and not to mess up.
- Tim Brown from Typekit sorts little-known properties of the OpenType fonts and CSS property for management of them.
Work with color
- The Colorify library allows to retrieve primary color of the image for creation of stubs when loading.
Work with SVG
- History of development of the SVG format and interest of the industry in it.
- Animation with use of masks.
- Alternatives of the SMIL specification of animation of SVG which falls into oblivion.
- Russia map and the world in SVG from command of Design of the state systems.
- System of grids Gridly, super-compact by the size.
- Rachel Andrew compares CSS Grid and Flexbox.
- Comparison of Flexbox and Susy from Zell Liew.
- The online game Flexbox Froggy for training in work with flexbox.
- Heydon Pickering how to get rid of one element the last line.
The Unluckiest Paragraphs
Nick Santos from the Medium command how disablers of advertizing can cut pieces of the interface by mistake. It imparts experience on the subject of how to avoid problems.
- Ben Frain polemizes with Tyler Sticka and says that in many situations ikonochny fonts SVG is more convenient, and problems of accessibility are solved.
An Introduction To PostCSS
UX strategy and management
Jamie Levy — UX Strategy
O’Reilly published the book Jamie Levy "UX Strategy — How to Devise Innovative Digital Products that People Want". UXMatters publishes a piece of chapter 2. In December there was also "Design Leadership" from Richard Banfield.
How mature is your omni-channel content strategy?
Peter Bogaards offers maturity model for content strategy. The excellent system approach allowing to assess the current situation and to plan development.
Creation of design culture
Getting Back Into The (Right) Deliverables Business
Rian van der Merwe writes that the pendulum of general failure from documentation and project artifacts has to shake in the opposite direction — instead of reduction of really excess specifications many stopped the preproject work at all. He offers two documents which allow to observe balance — expanded customer journey maps and structure of content.
Product management and analytics
The Next Feature Fallacy (or, case for simple, working systems)
Joshua Porter tells about a problem of false waiting to new "function which will rescue a product". Instead of paying attention to problems in key mechanics of work of service, product managers and designers trust in saving force "to this here the lacking opportunity". He advises to concentrate on the simple working systems (slightly in more detail about what he understands as it).
- Jared Spool offers concept to "those" for road maps. They focus command not on functionality, and on problems of users which can be solved.
Intercom on Customer Support book
The third book of the Intercom command devoted to user support.
Methodologies, procedures, standards
Specialist in design of graphic and user interfaces
The professional standard "Specialist in Design of Graphic and User Interfaces" is approved. Our profession became much more adult.
As these specialists design, graphic design and a usability research of the interactive user interfaces providing high utilization (ergonomic) properties of software products and systems enters.
Requirements to education by this profession: secondary professional education — programs of training of skilled workers (employees), or the higher education — a bachelor degree, a specialist programme, a magistracy. Additional professional education — programs of professional development, the program of professional retraining, the program of professional development.
Also requirements to experience of practical work in the corresponding field of activity are imposed.
Cases of redesign
- The story about how redesign of a dashbord of Xbox One became.
- About work on an interface of the application of Uber for drivers.
Prototyping Secret Hitler
Story Max Temkin about work on Secret Hitler gambling. She not absolutely on a blog subject, but in it is brought together the most interesting selection of prototypes of many known gamblings — it is very useful.
The emulator of the vintage Internet allowing to see archive sites in retrobrowsers. However, server capacities at them weak, works with delays.
Stories about the old websites:
- On December 20 25 years to the first website from Tim-Bernes Li were performed.
- New Year's websites, applications and illustrations 80x and 90kh.
- Selection of the old websites from The Telegraph.
Proceed to Checkout: The Unexpected Story of How Ecommerce Started
Shopify shot video telling about history of emergence of electronic commerce. The main option two and both from 1994 — Pizza Hut and the website NetMarket which sold Sting's compact disk. The article Fast Company with material in text form.
- And one more interesting article Fast Company about Internet sources. In ’80kh-' 90kh years the telephone services based on numbers 1-900 allowing to receive short news from stars (Pre-twitter), to listen to fresh music (pre-Spotify) and to have easy access to a heap of other useful information, hardly accessible in dointernetovsky times were most wildly popular in the USA. Ruined everything, as usual, a porn.
History Ralph Baer
Trends of 2016
Curators of the website uxdesign.cc analyzed all links published in a year and made the forecast for 2016. Very competent and weighed material, and that the most pleasant — from people who really understand interfaces, and not just the visual learner. Other forecasts:
- The forecast for 2016 from J. Walter Thompson Intelligence.
- Results of year from creators of the Atomic tool who try to keep up with content marketing of InVision.
- The forecasts of specialists of the industry collected by Econsultancy.
- 10 forecasts from Fjord. They in the form of the presentation and article.
- The forecast from frog design.
Why The Great App Unbundling Trend Is Already In Trouble
Fast Company writes that the otpochkovyvaniye trend not especially flew up. Recently Carousel and Mailbox were closed from Dropbox, and also experimental applications of Facebook. At the same time wildly popular was new mobile Outlook which is that classical fierce universal combine. Though it is rather about thoughtless rivetting of satellites — it did the same Foursquare good, well there is also Facebook Messenger.
After — sensible thoughts of Sebastien Gabriel of closing of Mailbox, Carousel, Rooms and other applications which were considered as a good example of qualitative design. It makes sober those who consider that he qualitative UX enough for success of a product (the same history was with Path) is an important, but not key part.
Microsoft Future Visions
Microsoft was started by the mini-website Future Visions devoted to vision of the future. It is a series of stories from the fantasts reflecting on the future of technologies. They took practices of research laboratory Microsoft as a basis and dreamed up on their subject. At the same time it is amusing that many of these technologies were inspired by science fiction. Overview of the main subjects.
The New Story Of Computing: Invisible And Smarter Than You
One more term in addition to "NoUI", "anticipatory computing" and "Zero UI" — Cognitive Computing. The essence approximately similar — is less than manual control, it is more than rearrangement of all on shoulders of computers.
Trends in mass media
- The story about redesign of Quartz which confirms gradual dying of the mass media main pages.
- Google News Lab is engaged in the annual report of the company on search trends now. They described key outputs for mass media from features of behavior of users and potrebleniye them content.
- The small overview of the Connected Car Expo conference which was taking place recently in Los Angeles from the point of view of attention to interfaces.
- Concept from Volvo which represents absolutely far future of independent machines where they lost the status value. Just mirror cube.
Smart watch and bracelets
- Luke Wroblewski collected in Google + the thoughts and tweets on the smart watch. There are also other its selections.
- Very interesting research of group of the Swedish scientists on use of the smart watch in real life. They selected 12 respondents who long time went with Apple Watch and the camera which wrote all interactions with hours. About a representativeness it is difficult to tell, but there are many interesting facts.
- Collection of experiments with animation in virtual reality for Google Cardboard.
- A-Frame framework for creation of simple interfaces of virtual reality in a web. It is supported by MozVR initiative from Mozilla announced recently.
- Laura Keller about journalism UX in virtual reality on the example of the material NY Times about refugees.
Interfaces at cinema
- All 169 gadgets from movies about James Bond.
- The story about the Perception company which did interfaces to Iron Man 2, Avengers 2 and other movies and for Microsoft, Samsung and Ford was connected after that to work on concepts.
- Autodesk and Microsoft work on tools for a team of engineers and prom.dizayner based on Hololens.
- Volvo tells about that as uses HoloLens in work.
For the general and professional development
Bulletin "Ergonomist" No. 43 (December, 2015)
In number: articles about availability of the subway to handicapped passengers, about ergonomic actions of 2015, about Vladimir Mikhaylovich Munipov and his contribution to ergonomics, news, summaries of publications on ergonomic subject, successful experience and ergonomic diversions and many other things.
People and the companies in the industry
A series of interview of Fast Co Design with women in design. There were already 4 materials about leading design.
Designers in venture funds
- Accel Partners employed Jason Mayden from Nike. He tells that he will look for young specialists in atypical places.
Fresh links can also be traced in Facebook group of the same name or to receive once a month by mail. Thanks to all who also publish links in it, especially to Gennady Dragun, Pavel Skripkin, Dmitry Podluzhny, Anton Artyomov, Denis Efremov, Alexey Kopylov, Taras Brizitsky and Evgeny Sokolov. More and more materials in reviews appear thanks to them.
Subscribe to newsletter! The letter comes once a month.
This article is a translation of the original post at habrahabr.ru/post/274147/
If you have any questions regarding the material covered in the article above, please, contact the original author of the post.
If you have any complaints about this article or you want this article to be deleted, please, drop an email here: email@example.com.
We believe that the knowledge, which is available at the most popular Russian IT blog habrahabr.ru, should be accessed by everyone, even though it is poorly translated.
Shared knowledge makes the world better.