Patterns and Best Practices
Josh Clark — Designing for Touch
Josh Clark published the new book "Designing for Touch" in A Book Apart publishing house few weeks ago. On A List Apart one of heads is available, how users hold devices. On this subject wrote Steven Hoober and Luke Wroblewski much, but everything is collected here and at once in one material.
The State Of Airline Websites 2015 — Lessons Learned
Joshua Johnson does analysis of the websites of 20 airlines regarding the interface patterns. Main page, search and armoring.
Long-Term Exposure to Flat Design — How the Trend Slowly Makes Users Less Efficient
Kate Meyer tells about long-term research of interfaces with flat design in NN/g. It is a lot of specific responses to concerns that such stylistics often kill affordans and complicates work with a product. Younger users really have less problems with it and they more willingly investigate design, but even it it does not add comfort.
Design Principles: Choosing the Right Patterns
Gustavs Cirulis that it is important to use patterns is comprehended. He gives an example from experience of Intercom where they compared navigation solutions and tried on under a specific situation.
What websites of the Russian companies adaptive — online stores, services, digital-agencies
The ADN Digital Studio company conducted research of domestic online stores on mobile. Who has mobile versions and applications.
Mobile Inline Form Validation
Three years ago Steven Hoober in detail described methods of validation of forms in mobile interfaces. Three years later he says that error messages are an anti-pattern and it is better not to bring the matter to them at all. From the moment of writing of article of 2012 he practically did not use the patterns described in it.
Letters of mailing
Researches Baymard Institute
- onboardX, one more service for adding of tooltip balloons in the interface.
- Transfer into Russian of a story about how the Hopper application remade onboarding.
- Thierry Meier sorts patterns of sorting and filtering on mobile.
- Zoltan Kollin lists problem patterns in mobile applications. The hidden navigation, icons without signatures, gestures without affordans, the useless training screens, unreasoned empty screens.
Guidelines of platforms and companies
- The smartest analysis of the basic principles of a code for animation in material design from Joe Birch. What it is possible to do by standard means.
- The most useful article Ben Hersh about its experience of design for new Apple TV. He repeatedly repeats that it is not the smartphone and it is not necessary to repeat its patterns and the interface solutions in the TV.
Templates of Android-phones
Understanding of the user
Why We’re Addicted To Our Smartphones, But Not Our Tablets
Interesting calculations of Liraz Margalit from ClickTale about why smartphones are perceived as more personal devices, unlike tablets. Besides that they are just more often used, there is also a psychological attachment.
User Research With Small Business Owners — Best Practices and Considerations
Chelsey Glasson and Aidan Bryant about carrying out researches with representatives of small business. These people are constantly busy and exacting to tools so there are many features of work with them.
Cards of empathy
Speed of operation of the interface
- Second part of article of Denis Mishunov about the speed of operation of interfaces. He tells about features of perception and volume how to use busy waiting, cold start and pseudo-completion of loading for acceleration of visible work of a product.
- Mabel Chan from SalesForce how it is correct to present characters to command and customers. As approximately same results of researches had absolutely different demand among colleagues.
Interfaces which kill
- Badly designed interface for pilots on iPad nearly ruined the airplane of Qantas airline. The pilot missed at the indication of height because of thick fingers so the airplane hit a tail against a band at take-off because of incorrect parameters.
Design for children
- Jonathan Evans describes guidelines on design for children of different age and gives examples of how to try on them to real products.
- Initiative of the large Internet companies and American universities of training of employees in the principles of availability.
- Facebook started a new intsiativa for employees — "2G-Tuesdays". Employees can understand what to use a product with the slow and bad Internet in India. We have an ad hoc network of wi-fi for this purpose.
- Gesture of a svayp, wildly popular in many respects thanks to Tinder, has problems with accessibility. It perklikatsya with some system gestures of mobile platforms.
Information architecture, conceptual design, content strategy
What is Use Case and why they are necessary?
Anna Abramova tells about one of the best the technician of design of interaction of the user and the program.
Design and design of screens of the interface
There was Sketch 3.4 (according to the link the big list of innovations and corrections). Yap Kwang Yik made the overview of the most interesting improvements.
However, the version was glyuchny and Bohemian Coding was necessary to release right there update 3.4.1, and afterwards and 3.4.2. As a result of all this bother developers decided to leave AppStore. The application will extend and be updated from the website Bohemian Coding. Other materials:
- Good visual crib on the hot keys from Meng To.
- Plug-in of Fluid which allows to do automatic adaptive leyauta in the spirit of iOS.
- The powerful reference book on work with Sketch 3 from Meng To.
Adobe Photoshop CC 2015
- November Photoshop CC 2015 updating. The improved artborda, export to SVG, development of the tach-interface and Creative Cloud libraries.
Adobe Project Comet — User experience, prototyping and design app
Better Icon Design in 6 Easy Steps
Excellent set of simple rules for creation of qualitative icons / icons from Scott Lewis from IconFinder. After:
Animaticons — Animated GIF Icons
Creators of the Animaticons project went against a trend of fashionable formats and started library of the configured animated icons in GIF. Not really future-friendly, but cheap but good. After:
- Sara Souiedan in detail compares pluses and minuses of animation in SVG and GIF. On all indicators except support in the old GIF browsers, of course, loses.
T-Shirt, Tank Top and Clothing Mockups
PlaceIt online service from the Breezi company allows to try on quickly and cheap prints on clothes. The set of models constantly is replenished and now there several tens good templates.
Reviews of instruments of prototyping
- Transfer of two parts of the overview of tools from Tes Mat: Proto.io, Pixate, Origami, Framer, Form and Principle, Flinto for Mac, Tumult Hype.
User researches and testing, analytics
10 User Research Myths and Misconceptions
Jim Ross disproves myths and delusions about the user testing.
10 Things I Learned About UX By Being Drunk
Richard Littauer for $250 checks the websites in a drunk status. He told about what he learned during testing of design in a state of intoxication.
An Interview with Alfonso de la Nuez, CEO of UserZoom
Interview with the CEO of one of the oldest services of the remote user researches UserZoom which received impressive investments into $34 million.
Picking the Right Methods to Improve Navigation
Excellent instruction on testing of navigation from Jeff Sauro. With what user researches it is possible to answer specific questions on it.
- Craig Sullivan about experience of A/B-testing: a long way from delight to disappointment, and, at last, to adequate use.
- The powerful presentation from Chris Johnson from Spotify how the company put hypotheses on start of new functionality and checked them.
Visual programming and design in the browser
Live guidelines and component systems
- eBay is going to announce own CSS framework. They told about how it considers and controls competent implementation of accessibility.
- Brad Frost on use of real data in prototypes. These opportunities gradually appear in its framework of Pattern Lab.
- ThoughtBot how it is important to work with flowers semantic.
- Nathan Curtis how to hold working session for systematization of patterns on the existing product. And similar article from Charlotte Jackson.
Envato Sites — Envato Sites Website Builder by Envato & ThemeForest
Envato started the designer of the websites Envato Sites in partnership with Theme Forest. Now all this variety of free subjects should not be fastened manually. Slightly in more detail about start.
- Jakob Nielsen how to test texts in products regarding legibility, readability and clearness.
- Marcin Wichary tells about experiments of Medium on use of a body type of the current platform of the user. This, by itself, gives a prize on loading speed though not so just to make accurately.
- CSS code for selection of the text a marker line by line.
- Fontdeck, one of the oldest services of lease of fonts, including for a web is closed.
- Good reflections of Robin Rendle on adaptive and parametrical typographics in a web.
- How to make animation of "raising of object over the plane" in the spirit of material design accurate and soft.
- Tyler Sticka advises to refuse ikonochny fonts for benefit of SVG. They were a temporary crutch upon transition to vector graphics, but have a great lot of problems with accessibility and work in specific browsers.
Work with SVG
- IconFactory how to prepare icons for new Safari in MacOS.
- Sensible instruction of Sara Souiedan concerning export of graphics to SVG. How to optimize structure and a code.
The modes of imposing of layers in CSS
Work with Bootstrap and Foundation
- There was a new version of a framework Foundation 6. In the blog Zurb it is told about innovations (the packet included, by the way, recently announced library for animation of Motion UI).
- Framer is able to prototipirovat virtual reality now.
- How to animate SVG.
- As the being 37 Signals used Framer during the work on Basecamp 3.
How We Fixed Our Icon Problem
Transfer of the article Bobby Grace from Trello about how the company systematized work with icons in the interface.
- Effect of a rain on WebGL.
- The magician of mad interface animation Oleg Solomka made the Motion JS library for it.
- The wave of inspiration with effect of volume parallax in new of Apple TV was beyond simulation of the original. The script from Mary Lou for online stores allows to show goods in an interior with effect of volume parallax.
- Script for the animated multi-level vertical menu.
- And vice versa through rearrangement of lines you will surprise nobody with transformation of an icon of a burger in an arrow any more so it is time to go further. The script from Luis Manuel does it with additional special effects.
UX strategy and management
- Excellent material on requirements to modern leading design. Opinions of heads of design and key heads 3M, Intuit, Microsoft, Pepsico, Philips and Rei.
Creation of design culture
- Dan Brown staticized excerpt from the book of 2012 about the principles of work of effective design commands.
- The GridMark service for the description of levels of a maturity of the companies and commands. Not really grafichny, but to start systematization it is good.
How to employ designers
- Andy Budd how to exercise in hiring of designers judgment. It is important to pass from transfer of requirements and skills to the description of tasks and problems which need to be solved.
Product management and analytics
Why "no" — a key word during creation of a product?
Oleg Yakubenkov made transfer of theses Intercom, plus added one more selection of councils from Intercom.
Growth hacking is bullshit
About why it is worth looking at system of metrics and to find balance between small small tasks and big strategy. Also it is not necessary to believe in existence of "a silver bullet".
Hooked on a Feeling
Presentation of Stephen P. Anderson about a difference between product requirements and experience.
Methodologies, procedures, standards
Parts without a Whole — What has design thinking become in organizations?
The command of the website This is Design Thinking conducted survey of 400 practicing designers and managers on use the practician of design thinking in large and not really the companies. Upon they issued the electronic book / report in which insayta are collected.
IBM’s Design-Centered Strategy to Set Free the Squares
Big and rather detailed story about how IBM paid attention to design and came to requirement to employ 1000 designers. The story about Phil Gilbert which came together with the purchased Lombardi Software company and from approval of CEO Virginia Rometty began to implement practicians of design thinking, to increase the general design culture and in large quantities to employ people. Video.
Cases of redesign
- Transfer of a case about Google Primer application creation.
- One more small history from the Hopper design command. As they simplified process of armoring of tickets so that it was necessary to add steps again.
- Raven Yu about work on the interface of the payment Bindo POS 3.0 terminal.
- Wired about reconsideration of the section of events in Facebook.
- The story about redesign of SwiftKey for Android.
- Sensible history of work on the Gyroscope application for sports activities. Anand Sharma already wrote about the beginning of work on it last year.
- Case Study Club, one more collection of cases.
The ultimate ecommerce CRO & UX case study — RS Components
Good case with system approach to improvement of conversion of the website. From a problem formulation, before individual work on a big set of components of the website.
And one more case about online store. The most interesting in this history is the second experiment when change of images in the directory gave CTR gain in 15,9%. An excess example of the fact that working only with content it is possible to receive a considerable gain of indicators. Optimization of content becomes more and more hot topic.
- Rather entertaining case of redesign of the Wealthfront application from the former designer of Facebook.
Enterprise Software Design — A Call to Arms
Very good philosophical article Tom Hobbs about how interfaces of consumer applications turned in comfortable and philanthropic and volume as to start the same transformation also for corporate software. Systemically, deeply, inspiring.
- Research of university of Utah says that voice interfaces are not up to the end safe too. Interaction with them is capable to distract attention of the driver to the period till 27 seconds.
- The Block Interval studio writes about a usability of cables during the work on interfaces of virtual reality. How not to allow the user to get confused in them. In general they have in the blog many sensible publications on a subject. For example, about importance of audio-design and volume whether it is dangerous to provoke too strong emotions.
Trends in mass media
- Alexis Lloyd from NYT Labs reflects on the future of publications on the media websites. Now there is a lot of noise on whether otjedit Facebook and Eppl a traffic at editions by means of the proprietary formats, but these formats became outdated in itself. He suggests to look towards atomic content and how Wikipedia works.
For the general and professional development
Andrey Yakushev added to the aggregator of video from conferences the international version with English-language performances.
Tilda Education: Design to a digital medium
The Tilda Publishing command started the first online course within the school of design.
Why We Should Really Be Concerned About the Visual Identity for the Tokyo Olympics
Strong material on philosophy of modern design from Ian Lynam. It sorts two histories of the Olympic identity (Mexico City ’68 and Munich ’72) as examples of system work on visual language at a scale of the international action and compares them with failure process around Tokyo 2020 which symbolizes heartless crowd funding for three kopeks. Not absolutely about interfaces, but concerns any applications of design and mentions including digital products.
Ergonomist No. 42, November, 2015
There was fresh number. Alexey Kopylov especially noted the article Increase in Conversion of the User Interface mentioned in this log by an objective usability testing on the basis of the analysis of the electroencephalogram of the user.
Time for Us All to Ditch Spec Creative Pitches
Initiative #SayNoToSpec from Zulu Alpha Kilo studio which recommends to refuse participation in tenders and trial works. Zak Mroueh lists five problems because of which the studio changed the policy. They wrote an excellent roller on this subject — tried to request the same from representatives of other industries which, naturally, were shocked.
Relevance is a State of Mind
Dan Brown from EightShapes reflexes on what to do to more mature UX specialists to remain relevant and how not to rage when with aspiration you hear about "new methodology", which in practice already decade. He advises to move towards mentoring, making use of the broad professional experience.
Jarrod Drysdale — My Designer Is Driving Me Crazy!
The book Jarrod Drysdale "My Designer is Driving Me Crazy!" for clients and managers which teaches them to work with designers correctly. It is available in alternative formats like a videocourse and a mailing group.
Jokes about designers for 400
Design in Facebook
People and the companies in the industry
How Apple Is Giving Design A Bad Name
Don Norman and Bruce Tognazzini, legendary designers of Apple in a 70e-90a, about a present status of design of interfaces in Apple. About that as well as why processes reached today's status. On the course receives also Google. Such powerful charge Don and Togas was not issued long ago.
Assignments of designers
Materials of conferences
Google SPAN 2015: New York & London
Last year Google carried out the first FORM design conference, in it it takes place under the name SPAN already in two cities — New York and London.
By results there is a book SPAN Reader with publications of speakers (they are available in a web according to links at the end of article). There were also other materials, including video of the panel discussion devoted to modern instruments of prototyping and sound product design.
Somehow received the invitation to the London part though did not submit the application. Already published videos from there. I was there, I advise to look at panel discussion about instruments of prototyping, performance of Luna Maurer about manual generative design and Ken Wong about virtual reality. And also Davide Fornari about mechanical generative design — is quiet on giving, but history a bomb.
O’Reilly Design Conference 2016
O’Reilly started the design conference, O’Reilly Design Conference. It will pass on January 19-22 in San Francisco, the USA. On structure and the format promises to be one of the most powerful. Mary Treseler which is responsible for it gives the unrolled interview of UXMatters about what will be.
RSD4 — Relating Systems Thinking to Design
On September 1-3, 2015 in Banff, Canada, passed the Relating Systems Thinking and Design conference devoted to complex system problems which the design can solve. The part of video of materials is already available. The others will appear on the channel.
Fresh links can also be traced in Facebook group of the same name or to receive once a month by mail. Thanks to all who also publish links in it, especially to Gennady Dragun, Pavel Skripkin, Dmitry Podluzhny, Anton Artyomov, Denis Efremov, Alexey Kopylov, Taras Brizitsky and Evgeny Sokolov. More and more materials in reviews appear thanks to them.
To subscribe to newsletter. The letter comes once a month.
This article is a translation of the original post at habrahabr.ru/post/272605/
If you have any questions regarding the material covered in the article above, please, contact the original author of the post.
If you have any complaints about this article or you want this article to be deleted, please, drop an email here: email@example.com.
We believe that the knowledge, which is available at the most popular Russian IT blog habrahabr.ru, should be accessed by everyone, even though it is poorly translated.
Shared knowledge makes the world better.