We will consciously leave model of development of service platforms own forces behind a board, owing to tiresomeness and resource intensity of such model. We know a set of examples of when service provider, having begun development of own solution, got stuck in a phase of infinite testing and start. Historically there were to start quickly two methods new VAS — to purchase necessary for software at the third-party developer or to use a PaaS-platform of one of vendors. Our company is just one of such vendors: cloudy White Label IP-ATC ITooLabs Communications Server — one of successful examples of the PaaS-solution for telecom operators numbering more than 40 installations on platforms worldwide. This examination also created our vision of that what of ways of start of new operator services is the most optimum. We are not afraid to cause just anger of dear developers of "boxes" as very well we understand a situation in the market.
Business is always about money therefore the purpose of any new project — receipt of profit, a fast output in profitability and minimization of investments into infrastructure. Operator infrastructure very expensive resource and those vendors which consider it get essential competitive advantage. The most clear and technological model allowing to suggest the partners "to be started" in short terms and with the minimum costs is the PaaS model. Decrease in initial investments at a stage of start of service is only part of a problem, further operation and costs connected with it there is the second key factor which in many respects and defines the choice of vendor by the telecom operator. Costs for operation of a PaaS-platform can be reduced, having applied revenue sharing business model. In this case service provider pays to vendor not fixed monthly payments for lease of a cloud, and shares the part of profit received from service sales to the clients. We use this business model and are convinced of correctness of our choice. Schematically to "rhubarb" looks as two dynamic cash flows directed from the client to service provider and from provider to vendor.
In case of acquisition of a service platform as licensed software, the above described pluses are leveled. The first and main problem arising before the operator at a choice stage of "the correct solution" are investments. We do not deny the fact that there are rather attractive "boxes" which functionality conforms to requirements of the market, but the cost of licenses, at the rate on one user, is very high. A characteristic dilemma — "expensively, but it is functional" and "cheaper, but also without delicacy" — very often decides operators for benefit of a byudzhetnost, and it means that already at a stage of start of service the strategic mistake is made — the functionality of "box" from the very beginning is not capable to provide all competitive benefits.
Our vision of unambiguous benefit of PaaS before licenses can be displayed in the form of here such comparative table:
We will be run and will record the main points.
- Start of new service — a question of several days, in a case with licenses, process drags on for PaaS for long weeks: deployment of software, its integration with the existing platforms (switches, switches, intermediate Web servers) is necessary. Plus the first for benefit of clouds.
- The cloud is already unrolled in a cluster and there is no need to buy in addition server hardware, servers — a zone of responsibility of vendor and it already purchased everything and configured. In a case with "packaged software" process of start begins with the choice of "pieces of iron" that, by the way, too demands time expenditure. The second cloudy "PaaS plus".
- It is clear, that licenses cost money and them it is necessary to purchase, and, it is necessary to buy not only licenses, and often also "services in setup and configuring". The sums in accounts of software developers often frighten by the number of zero. Cloud cost, on the contrary, ischezayushche is small. The third plus in the list.
- New software — new problems and load of engineering personnel. It is possible to lower loading only by the unique method — to involve an additional personnel resource, and it is still money for a salary and costs for training. Clouds are good the fact that you do not even know names of those who service these clouds. The fourth, indisputable, plus.
- Licenses have property to come to an end. And, as a rule, they come to an end as at a stage of implementation the decision to purchase the minimum packet because "then we will always buy in addition if that was made". It can pour out "then" in the essential sum as by the piece nobody will sell the license to operators, it is not an antivirus in office. Clouds — entities air and not having the permanent form, them it is possible to scale infinitely. Plus the fifth and convincing.
- Support always cost money, even not in sense of a salary of technicians, and in sense "to pay for an update". So far as concerns a solution for operators, the developer always wants money for any movement, otherwise its business model limps. Support — the same source of the income of vendor, as well as sale of licenses. It is an axiom. Clouds are updated imperceptibly and is transparent, emergence of a new update in most cases is the notification by e-mail and any "total on the account" at the end of the letter. Sixth pleasant plus.
- The developer of a box loses interest in business of the partner right after payment of account. He received the. Farther not it care. The sales manager sets a task" to call CRM in a year" and goes to negotiations to the new potential client. The less he will be disturbed — the better. In case of "plus to "rhubarb" managers will send to PaaS smilies to Skype at least once a week. Their KPI directly depends on sales of the operator, so many problems are solved by simple click of a mouse. The seventh and not last plus from our list.
There is still an important moment directly connected with infrastructure on which there lives new service. The infrastructure is the equipment, software, SBC and nodes. Cloudy PaaS — entity the uniform, finding room in one small square on the scheme network topologies of the operator. The purchased and unrolled "box" is the whole set of small squares reminding a ladder. Sometimes this ladder conducts not absolutely there where it would be desirable, and on one of steps it is possible to stumble and painfully to fall.
Now about "four noble truth" from hub heading. We tried to make so that they were capacious and obvious and described all benefits of cloud platforms. So, PaaS is:
- conveniently and effectively. In combination with "revenyyu-sharing" the partner receives the most optimum business solution. The vendor to care not only for technical aspects of cooperation, the vendor helps to sell and monitors that service was demanded: monitors the market, implements all most demanded functionality. Your profit is and profit of vendor too.
- dynamically and flexibly. Service is scaled almost indefinitely and such flexibility allows to build optimum tariff plans. The operator is not limited by the fixed cost of the license and can quickly react to the changing market condition.
- always the most advanced platform. To cloudy vendor your sales are very important, it is its business. You can not doubt that his programmers and marketing specialists work without cease and shortly at you the same option which was announced quite recently by your most technology advanced competitor will become available.
- profitably. Start of new service will not delay on itself financial resources of the company and they can be let on development of other directions of business. Cash flows "vendor operator" arise only when the cash flow "clients operators" appears, the actual profit is shared and there is no freezing of a resource. The first money, real, but not from the reporting, arises instantly.
We expect that many of readers of this hub can agree not with everything above written. But let's abstract from the developed stereotypes and we will stop thinking that infinite development, unique functionality and ten noukhau-is the correct way, and existence of "zoo" of servers and switches — an occasion to consider that fight for the client is won. In modern conditions success of telecom business is defined by a small set of indicators: the subscriber base, inflow, outflow and ARPU, the concept "monopoly" consigns to the past. Unification, efficiency, instant following behind an environment are requirements of time. Buying software and developing it on own site, you risk to get stuck on the middle of that ladder. The market became so dynamic that we practically have no time for games with new functionality and the weakened supervision over new trends. We should not watch trends, we have to follow them close, and PaaS is a noticeable segment of telecom business which will force out others, the outdate, infrastructure models in the near future.
This article is a translation of the original post at habrahabr.ru/post/271227/
If you have any questions regarding the material covered in the article above, please, contact the original author of the post.
If you have any complaints about this article or you want this article to be deleted, please, drop an email here: email@example.com.
We believe that the knowledge, which is available at the most popular Russian IT blog habrahabr.ru, should be accessed by everyone, even though it is poorly translated.
Shared knowledge makes the world better.