As you, probably, already assumed, options of recovery are closely connected with backup settings: needless to say, to recover the machine entirely it will not turn out if there were zabekaplena, say, only the user folders.
Let's consider these options in more detail for what welcome under kat.
Recovery of separate files
This opportunity can be used regardless of what mode of a backup was applied. It is pleasant that for the sake of recovery of a two-three of files you should not lift from a backup the machine entirely. (It reminds something to me … as, I think, and to all users of Veeam Backup &Replication; who with its help happened to recover separately taken files.)
So, as it is possible to start recovery of files:
- We go to the Start menu, we select Veeam> Tools> File Level Restore and we start it.
- We find an icon of our application in a system tray, we click it with the right button and we choose the Restore command – Individual files.
Both of these methods it is thrown us on the master's step devoted to the choice of recovery point.
Note: If necessary it is possible to drop into the previous walk of Backup Location and there to specify where there is the necessary backup. It is convenient, for example, if the necessary file is in a backup of other machine.
It is possible to go in other way: to open the Veeam Endpoint Backup Control Panel control bar and to select the necessary backup on the chart where all of them are presented graphically in the form of rectangles. Having studied information on the selected backup and having convinced that it from it we want to be recovered, we will press the Restore files button.
What will occur then?
After you clicked Restore files (or passed on steps of the master and clicked Open), the backup file will be mounted on file system of your at present working machine, in the C:\VeeamFLR folder, and you will be able to browse backup contents by means of the Veeam Backup Browser browser (or the Windows browser).
The Veeam Backup Browser browser supports the following options at recovery:
- Overwrite — the file will be recovered in initial location; if that file there is already available, it will be rewritten by the file from a backup.
- Keep — the file will be recovered in initial location with Restored prefix – the file which is available in the initial place will not be rewritten.
- Copy To — the file can be copied in other location, it is in addition possible to specify whether it is necessary to save at the same time settings of the rights (a daw of Preserve permissions and ownership).
It is useful: It is possible to select for recovery several files \folders at once, having clicked CTRL+SHIFT.
Recovery of volume
At once I pay your attention that such recovery will be possible only if at a backup you selected the option Entire PC (a backup of all machine) or Volume Level Backup (a volume backup).
It is obvious that all volume will be result of recovery.
For start of process there are similar methods: to select Veeam> Volume Restore in the Start menu, or to click with the right button an icon in a tray and to choose the Restore command – Entire Volumes, or to open an application interface, to select the necessary backup and to click Restore volumes.
Similar to the file, the volume can be recovered in initial or in new location. In the first case the initial volume will be rewritten. In the second case it is possible to place volume or on an empty seat of a disk, or the volumes which on site are already available, having substituted them (i.e. data will be rewritten taken from a backup).
I turn yours vnimanin on a number of restrictions for recovery of volume which will take place at recovery without use of Veeam Recovery Media:
- The system volume cannot be recovered in initial location.
- It is impossible to recover volume on another, containing swap file.
- It is impossible to recover volume on another, containing backup file from which there is a recovery.
The specified restrictions can be bypassed, having used recovery from earlier created boot Veeam Recovery Media carrier (about which it was told here) and having started the master of recovery "on naked iron" Veeam Bare Metal Recovery for recovery of volume (is more detailed about it a bit later). Steps of the master are rather simple; depending on location of a backup you select remote SHD or the Veeam Backup &Replication; server and have a disk mappirovaniye opportunity there. You select volumes which you want to recover — by default, they will be recovered in initial location (to set another, click on Customize disk mapping, then specify where volumes have to be recovered).
It is important! If you specify location manually, be attentive not to erase the available volumes. (Actually, data are rubbed clean directly into recovery time, so if you change the mind about a mappirovaniye at this stage, then it is enough to click Cancel or to close the master's window that accidentally nothing occurred.)
For a manual mapping of a disk there are following options:
- Apply Backup Layout — to mark as in a backup; the disk will be marked the same as was at the time of creation of a backup.
- Apply Disk Layout — to mark as a disk; current settings of a marking of other disk will be used (which you will specify).
- Erase — to erase; current settings of a marking of a disk will be deleted.
Further it is possible to pass to recovery.
Work with the Veeam Recovery Media carrier
As it was told above, by means of earlier created boot carrier you can bypass some restrictions at recovery of volume. But, certainly, its purpose not only in it, and in providing recovery of your machine from the backup copy which is stored on it.
I will remind that for creation of such carrier specially intended master of Create Recovery Media is used. Depending on what type of the carrier you will select, you can be necessary to change boot priority of OS, having specified in the corresponding BIOS settings that loading should be executed from this carrier. If everything is made correctly, then after reset of the machine (before start of OS) it will be offered to you to click any key for loading with Veeam Recovery Media.
Now we will look what options are offered to us by Veeam Endpoint Recovery in the appeared window.
Let's begin upside-down, that is from the option Tools – and suddenly after all it is possible to be repaired, without resorting to the radical method "Recovery on Naked Iron"?
Here what we have here:
- Command Prompt — well, it and is so clear.
- Reset Password — a useful thing, allows instead of the forgotten password of the local administrator to set empty. If the administrator's uchetka was deactivated, nothing terrible – the utilitka can back include her to give you the chance to log in. By itself, the password should be changed and after you do necessary manipulations, to return an uchetka to a former type (that is to deactivate her).
Important! This utility does not work for the domain controller.
- Load driver — for access to the network SHD or the selected SHD storing backup copies is necessary the corresponding driver for OS — exactly the same is required also for work with Recovery Media. If during creation of the carrier the option Include hardware drivers from this computer was selected, then drivers will be loaded automatically. It is also possible to use this utility for loading of additional drivers in case of need.
- Memory diagnostics (the utility of Microsoft) — check of memory of your machine and diagnostics of potential problems. For more details see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.09.utilityspotlight.aspx
- Startup repair (the utility of Microsoft) — can help with repair of malfunctions at start of Microsoft Windows (for example, the absent or damaged system files or the boot sector). For more details see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/startup-repair
- Export Logs — export of logs of operation of application on external SHD; it is very much recommended to have files of logs on a case of the appeal to service of technical support Veeam.
Environment of recovery Windows
This environment is part of a setup package of Windows. If you have a system image of Microsoft, then it can be used for recovery, having used Veeam Recovery Media for its start. (And it is possible to start and normally; for more details see windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/restore-computer-from-system-image-backup#1TC=windows-7)
Recovery "on naked iron"
After start from our carrier we click the Bare Metal Recovery icon and we pass on the master's steps:
- Backup location — we specify location of a backup copy – it can be local storage (including removable devices) or network storage. It is quite probable that the master recognizes files of a backup on the local device automatically. If network SHD was selected, then further it is necessary to specify what network adapter to use for connection (yes, it is connected also through WiFi), and if necessary to specify network settings. Then we enter a folder path of the general access or the IP address of the Veeam Backup &Replication server.
- Restore Point — we select the necessary recovery point. Normally it is the latest of created, but it is possible to select and any other.
- By Restore Mode — we decide on the recovery mode. The modes "All Computer" (Entire computer) and "System volume" (System volume) do not demand manual intervention and vypolyat automatic recovery in initial location or on an empty disk. The manual mode, as usual, is intended for the advanced users – it allows to execute manually a mapping and transfer of volumes of a backup on the existing disk that, on the one hand, demands certain skills and understanding of an essence of the events, and with another – gives complete control over volumes and their recovery.
- Summary — at last, attentively we double-check settings and we start recovery process. If necessary Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE will execute re-allocation of sections and will recover data from a backup copy.
Important! All data on these volumes and sections will be rewritten!
Small lyrical digression about a backup
Let's return back a little bit (by the time of creation of a backup copy) and we will talk also that represent a backup on demand and a backup according to the schedule, and also we will find out who such separate complete backup (standalone full backup).
Backup according to the schedule
It is executed automatically according to the schedule of a task of backup whose settings you specify in the master of Configure backup wizard: they can include the schedule of periodic start and\or triggers of start.
At the first pass of a task the complete backup will be created, and at the subsequent – increments; the created recovery points will be stored and be removed according to set storage life.
Creation of backup copies will function until there is in working order a selected place of their storage. As for restarts (in case of a possible error at execution of a task), the logic is as follows: after any failure will repeatedly try to startvat a task each 10 minutes for the next few 23 hours then will stop doing it, having given an error message.
In storage of backup copies there will be here such files:
- .VBM – the file of metadata which stores all information on a chain of backups
- .VBK – the file of a complete backup copy
- .VIB – the file of an increment
Backup on demand
The backup is on demand convenient, for example, when you need to set new software or to proapgreydit system. It from the Veeam Endpoint Backup interface is started by clicking of the Backup Now button.
As a result in a chain of backup copies the new incremental backup is created (an exception – the first start when the complete backup as the beginning of a chain is created).
Let's notice that, unlike a backup according to the schedule, such backup will not restartovat in case of an error.
Separate complete backup
Creates a complete backup copy, but it will not be part of a chain and, respectively, will not fall under storage policy.
To start creation of such backup, it is necessary to click with the right mouse button an icon in a tray and to choose the command Backup> Standalone full backup. Such process will not restartovat in case of an error too. After end the backup file is saved there where also a chain, but in the separate subfolder. You will find the .VBM and .VBK files in it — if necessary from them it will be possible to be recovered (do not forget to transfer also this folder with a separate backup if you shift folders with backup copies).
Integration with Veeam Backup &Replication
And now we will look that integration of Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE with Veeam Backup &Replication; in respect of additional opportunities of recovery gives us.
Recovery of files
From the Veeam Backup &Replication; console it is very convenient to recover files and folders from our backup, involving the FLR mechanism (file-level restore, that is recovery at the level of files) which is in detail described in documentation. There is only one restriction — it is impossible to recover in initial location, but it is possible to use the Copy To command in Backup Browser and to copy the necessary files to the new place.
Recovery of objects of applications by means of Veeam Explorers
If you bekapit the Active Directory, SharePoint, Exchange or SQL server by means of Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE, then from such backup it is possible to recover objects of the corresponding application: just start recovery at the level of files from the Veeam Backup &Replication; console, and then from the Backup Browser browser – the corresponding Veeam Explorer tool.
In more detail how it becomes, it is possible to learn, for example, here.
Export of disks
Any disk from the backup created by Veeam Endpoint Backup can be exported to the VMDK, VHD or VHDX file by means of the Veeam Backup &Replication; console, having chosen the command Restore> Endpoint> Export disk contents as virtual disks in the Home menu.
It is necessary to understand that it will not be recovery of P2V so in attempt to be loaded from such disk in virtual environment errors because of existence of physical drivers are possible. However there are also more practical scenarios – for example, the attachment of a disk to VM. But also here it is necessary to remember several moments:
- The disk VMDK can be recovered on SHD (datastore) in a "thin" format (thin provisioned) whereas recovery on the server saves a disk in the form of "thick" (thick provisioned).
- The disks VHD/VHDX are always recovered as dynamic.
Instead of the conclusion
I remind that recently there was version 1.1 of the solution Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE which supports Windows 10. The solution is available according to the link http://www.veeam.com/ru/endpoint-backup-free-download.html.
The description of a product can be found on a page of http://www.veeam.com/ru/endpoint-backup-free.html.
Article on Habré with the overview of the solution Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE: http://habrahabr.ru/company/veeam/blog/255729/
Article on Habré about backup of physical machines by means of Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE: http://habrahabr.ru/company/veeam/blog/261481/
This article is a translation of the original post at habrahabr.ru/post/266043/
If you have any questions regarding the material covered in the article above, please, contact the original author of the post.
If you have any complaints about this article or you want this article to be deleted, please, drop an email here: email@example.com.
We believe that the knowledge, which is available at the most popular Russian IT blog habrahabr.ru, should be accessed by everyone, even though it is poorly translated.
Shared knowledge makes the world better.