What is Liferay?
At first the small introduction for those who does not know that such Liferay. If briefly — it is SharePoint, but on Java and Open-Source.
If very much simply — that this most exact definition. Though everything of course is not so simple and so rectilinear.
If is slightly more detailed — it is the web portal developed on the Java Enterprise Edition technologies (about technologies is slightly lower) according to the scheme Open Source. Thus there is company which is engaged in purposeful development of this product and gives to Enterprise-support (already for money). Liferay can be applied
- and classically — as intra corporate portal (the organization of collaboration of employees) or corporate social network,
- and for creation of the external sites (one of examples — the site of the mobile operator Yota which was recently mentioned on Habré),
- and it is possible to use it as platform for development of the applications (very well on it different B2B and B2C of solution turn out).
It is possible to esteem on the site Liferay or at us (already in Russian) in more detail.
Changes in architecture
The main innovation because of which the new version will be 7.0 but not (for example) 6.3 it is transition to OSGI. This huge change in the plan of internal architecture (and all ecosystem round Liferay as it involves also changes in development of plug-ins). Once very long ago, Liferay was based on EJB. EJB then were the second, they were big and heavy, and demanded big and heavy servers for start (JBoss minimum) — that was not always justified. Then Liferay have transferred to easy Spring Framework — and this backlog was enough for it for about 7 years (I can be mistaken in what precisely versions there was this transition — but for a long time). And now OSGI. That it gives to users (though rather to the programmers implementing solutions on the basis of Liferay — ultimate users all the same on what technologies it is made):
- Portal kernel now the modular. It is possible to disconnect the superfluous easily. One of minuses of Liferay was called that in its kernel there is a lot of "superfluous". Putting Liferay users received not only Portlet Container and adminka with necessary basic functionality — but also a lot of modules, and need of some of them raised big doubts. Now it will be possible to create the set of modules which we want that would enter kernel
- All plug-ins (addition to portal) are developed as OSGI modules now. Earlier each plug-in was separate web application (from the point of view of Application Server-а) which communicated with portal via the cunning mechanism under the name BeanLocator (which was as a matter of fact Haque). Now everything is honest, everything is strict within basic technologies
- It is simpler to make changes to kernel of portal. Simply replace the module implementing required functionality on the. Everything, I hope it will not be required any ext-plug-ins any more (who was engaged in deep customization of Liferay, that will understand)
So, we look forward. One frightens — such serious architectural changes do not come easily and simply — but I hope that after all to release the version (including by forces of community) will be well tested.
That unfortunately it is not expected:
- The server by default on former there is Tomcat 7. Actually it would be very desirable to see Tomcat 8 and use of WebSockets in portal
- Implementation of web services on former on the first Axis. Here without words. Probably it is necessary to wait for the 8th version.
Changes in UI
Big changes are expected in the user interface:
- New subject. Promise "easier", mobile-friendly and so on. Also and more customized. So far it is difficult to evaluate that stands behind it but if make text of "Powered by Liferay" which is disconnected or configured — it will be big step forward :)
- New management. All. There is no separate Control Panel-and now. There is Product Menu (gets out at the left). Management of the page from side buttons has removed to the cellar of the page. Well and many other things. Here I feel it is necessary to get used long
- Loading of the Ajax-ohm pages: many portlets can load the content without reset of the page now (for example transition from the list of blogs to specific record). Important — that such support at the level of basic framework-and so it can be used everywhere.
Actually the plug-in of Audience Targeting is available already and in 6.2, but in 7-ka it has to reveal in all beauty. What is it? This segmentation of users of portal (by different criteria) and display of different content for different segments. Plus support of the companies. The basic functionality at last became available to any CMS respecting itself and in Liferay (and as to us it was not enough!)
It is clear that (for example) the geolocation and segmentation on regions of Russia should be finished — but it (we see above on OSGI) can be made simply separate plug-in already.
Liferay continues courageous experiment on implementation of the new, innovation editor. There are no more toolbars and buttons. Only context editing
Too such solution — on the fan. I for example have clients who ask to throw out from Liferay 6.2 CKEditor 4 and to screw old FCKEditor 3 because it "is more similar to old Word which all have got used to use". Here and how to explain to them about the innovation context editing?
The benefit that can be configured easily which editor is used
It is possible to tie any content to geographical point now and to build (for example) interactive maps
Templates for Staging-and
In Liferay there is such piece as Staging — it when you on the separate (test) site prepare all necessary changes (new pages, new content) and then on clicking of the button (or according to the schedule) after passing of necessary approval publish on the working server. Piece useful as (for example) allows not to "break" the loaded product cluster and quietly to do the changes on test server and then to publish them at night on pro-@. The truth in life gets out heap of nuances — and who worked in Liferay from staging-ohms will appreciate opportunity to remember configuration for stage in the form of templates for reuse.
Actually it is only the small list of the main changes. During work on the new version children from Liferay have already performed huge work (only within Liferay 7.0 m7 about 170 User Story are closed) and there are a strong wish to hope that they will finish work (with high quality) and in half a year we will see the new version.
This article is a translation of the original post at habrahabr.ru/post/265919/
If you have any questions regarding the material covered in the article above, please, contact the original author of the post.
If you have any complaints about this article or you want this article to be deleted, please, drop an email here: email@example.com.
We believe that the knowledge, which is available at the most popular Russian IT blog habrahabr.ru, should be accessed by everyone, even though it is poorly translated.
Shared knowledge makes the world better.