Veeam Endpoint Backup consists of two principal components: the service performing backup tasks, and applications on its setup. These components are established locally on that machine which needs to be bekapit? it has to be the machine under control of Windows 7 or above (the detailed description of system requirements see here).
After completion of installation of product, by the machine there are following components:
- Veeam Endpoint Service? the Microsoft Windows service which, actually, is also responsible for backup and recovery of the machine from backup. Service is started automatically, and is constantly started in the background.
- Veeam Endpoint System Tray Application? application for system treya by means of which it is possible to start process of backup or recovery to monitor its status, and also to start product control bar.
- Microsoft SQL Server of 2012 LocalDB?? light version? SQL Server where these configurations are stored. It is possible to call it analog of SQLite which is often used for storage of operational these web browsers or consumer software? LocalDB also demands the minimum resources; the main difference consists that SQLite is built usually in and works in the application, and LocalDB functions in subprocess, started by the Veeam Endpoint Service service. When Veeam Endpoint Backup is in idle status, consumption of resources (both base, and the program), it is possible to tell, aims at zero. Though, in general, and at backup execution consumption of resources is not so great as process is executed on low priority.
In Veeam Endpoint Backup integration with Veeam Backup &Replication v8 Update 2 is implemented above that gives the chance to use the available repository of backups of virtual computers for backup copies of physical machines. For saving of these backup copies in repository it is necessary to configure connection to infrastructure of Veeam Backup &Replication;, having registered the Veeam Backup server? in this case data will remain in repository directly, passing the server. But about it a bit later.
Beginning of work
So, after installation (which, by the way, occurs in? one cliques?) you can specify, with what settings it will be necessary to start backup task. Default settings are usually used:
- Backup scope (? scope?, i.e. what exactly should be bekapit)? by default? all machine?.
- Target destination (arrangement of backup copies)? the network folder with repository or the USB device connected to this machine (it is necessary to remember that in this option the capacity of the device has to be not less than a half from the size of the machine which you will bekapit).
- Schedule (the schedule i.e. when to start backup)? by default at 0 hours 30 minutes daily.
- Default exclusions (exception i.e. what it is not necessary to bekapit)? by default it: the folder with temporary files, basket, the page and hibernate files, and also files of snapshot of VSS in the System Volume Information folder.
Further if necessary it is possible to change these settings easily, as well as settings of the plan of power supply of Windows (for example if it is necessary regularly? to awake? the machine for backup and then again to translate it in? dream?).
Then it is recommended to create the boot carrier which will be used for recovery of active volume or recovery? on naked iron?.
We create the boot carrier
As such carrier it is possible to use DVD, flash card, the SD card, or it is simple to write ISO somewhere.
It is reasonable to create the boot carrier right after installation and setup, and to place it in reliable place on storage? it is simple that the head about it did not hurt any more; usually it should be updated only in case of urgent need (for example, when replacing the network interface card or storage device).
- On the first step of the master of Recovery Media it is necessary to specify carrier type; carriers of the above-named types which are connected to the computer at present, will be recognized automatically.
Important! The selected carrier will be reformatted as boot so all data on it will be completely deleted!
On this step there are two important ticks:
- Include hardware drivers from this computer (recommended)? if to select this option, on the carrier all network drivers, and also the drivers of storage devices and USB which are available by this machine will be placed. It is recommended to zachekat this daw that when loading from our carrier to podgruzit and them.
- Include the following storage and network hardware drivers? it is possible to use this option in addition to place network drivers and drivers of storage devices necessary to you on the carrier. Here it will be necessary to specify the folder where all files of the required driver are stored (in the CAT, INF and SYS format).
- Then the step follows? Ready to Apply?, where options depending on are possible what type of the carrier we have selected: so, for ISO it will be necessary to specify way (and if necessary and to enter user name and the password) to the folder.
- Step 3. We check all settings and further we monitor the course of process of creation of our carrier:
We select the backup mode
In UI to our attention three modes appear (actually if to select the third, you will be given opportunity to use one more, under the name Hybrid Backup, but about it below).
Entire computer? backup of all machine, including the hidden system sections and recovery partitions. It is the recommended backup mode as it allows to execute as recovery? on naked iron?, and recovery at the level of volume, the folder or the file? at your choice, from one backup copy. Such mode is rather effective as after the first full backup the incremental will be created? the block? backups; also it automatically excludes from processing already listed files and folders (basket, etc.) that allows to minimize the backup size.
Volume level backup? backup at the level of volume; analog of copying of all machine, with that difference that it is possible to select separate volumes from quality of objects of backup (we will tell if to select system volume, the backup will automatically include both the hidden sections, and state-of-health data of system). Certainly, it is possible to include or exclude from the object list for backup those volumes which you consider it necessary.
Remember, however, that always there is probability what it is necessary to be recovered? on naked iron?, it is also necessary that files necessary for this purpose have got to backup. It is supported both such type of recovery, and recovery at the level of volume? for volume which was zabekaplen. Also also recovery at the level of files is supported.
File level backup? in this mode only the folders and\or files selected by you will get to backup copy (it is possible to specify, what objects to include or exclude from process, having clicked Advanced). Naturally, in this case recovery at the level of volume or? on naked iron? it will not be supported.
It is useful: If you use the backup mode at the level of files (file level backup), it is possible to apply? the mixed? method (hybrid backup)? some node? volume? to take for backup entirely (for example, system), and from other volume to take only the necessary folders and files:
We go further: we select backup storage location
Veeam offers some options of which you have to make choice on step of the master of Destination:
1) Local drive? we select this option if we want to save backups on local disk or on the connected carrier (for example, USB or FireWare).
- It is clear, what if to save on the built-in hard drive, at its failure you will remain at? the broken trough? (there will be neither backup copies, nor opportunity to be recovered). However, if you have decided to bekapit files or volumes, and in your machine not one disk, this option can be to you useful to backup from one disk on another.
- If you are going to use USB devices, it is possible to do backups in turn on different always with guarantee to have backup copy (even if one of devices will refuse, or data on it will be damaged, there will be reserve option for recovery). Here it is important to remember, what in that case on each device there will be the chain of backups where one backup will be full, and others? incremental (about chain a bit later).
2) Shared Folder? backups will remain in the folder of shared access (sphere). It is possible to use file server, the NAS device, etc. If for access it is necessary to enter user name and the password, zachekayta tick? This share requires access credentials? also enter them. If this daw is not selected, for access to the folder the account NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM will be used. If the machine enters the Active Directory domain, the accounting entry (DOMAIN\COMPUTERNAME$) can give it full authority (Full Control) for the necessary folder and files entering it.
After input there will be active Populate button? having clicked it, it is possible to look, how many in the folder of empty seat, and at the same time to check correctness of the specified password.
3) Veeam Backup &Replication repository? if in infrastructure deploy the Veeam Backup &Replication; server, and you want to put backups of your physical machine in backup repository, then it is your choice. Specify the corresponding Veeam backup server; if necessary enter user name and the password for access to it. Then select repository.
Important! Use of repository of Veeam Backup &Replication; requires the version of product of Veeam Backup &Replication; 8.0 Update 2 or above. Access to Default Backup Repository is given initially, however the rights for access to other repositories are given out by the Veeam Backup &Replication; administrator in the console.
Integration with Veeam Backup &Replication
As it was already told, integration is supported for Veeam Backup &Replication; 8.0, since Update 2. It allows to use repository of Veeam Backup &Replication; as storage location of backup copies of your physical machine. Let's consider a little in more detail, how exactly to implement this opportunity.
1) We configure access rights on repository. It becomes in the Veeam Backup &Replication; console. Accounting entries of users, groups or computers can grant access rights. Procedure simple, all steps are in detail described here. I remind, what the repository used by default (Default Backup Repository) is initially configured on access for all (it is made for pilot expansions and testing)? but in the prodakshena it is recommended strongly to replace these settings.
Note: The cloudy repository as place for storage of backups of physical machines is not supported.
2) We configure task. As it was already told, in settings of backup of your physical machine on step of Destination Veeam Backup &Replication; repository need to specify as storage location of backup copies, to enter the IP address or DNS name of your Veeam backup server, and also name and the password for connection to repository.
After the backup of your physical machine has been saved in repository, it can be seen in the Veeam Backup &Replication; console: under the Jobs node there will be Endpoint Backup node (as task):
And under the Backup node it will be possible to see information on the corresponding backups, including date of creation, storage location and quantity of restore points:
Now, when process of saving of backup copies of your physical machine is configured in
repository, you can involve, for example, such useful opportunity as tasks of transfer of backups (backup copy job) for remote site, will be supported thus and use of WAN accelerators. By means of this functionality it is possible to transfer backups to cloudy repository also.
It is important! If you are going to use possibilities of recovery from the backup postponed and stored on remote site, keep in mind that during transfer of permissiya do not remain so or to you it is necessary to reassign them manually or to give out the administrative rights.
Also the archiving on the magnetic tape is supported? create Backup to tape task, and it will carry your backups from repository on the cartridge.
It is convenient to use also the Veeam Backup &Replication; console for job control of backup of Endpoint backups? for example, it is possible to analyze statistics:
It is possible to deactivate task menu command, however with removal everything is not so simple? even if you delete the Endpoint backup task from the console, it will appear there again as soon as starts. Remains in repositories and backup. If you need to clean completely Endpoint backup, recustomize permissiya on repository that the task did not save in it backup copies.
I will add still that for the Endpoint backup tasks it is possible to use global notification settings and restrictions of data transmission on network.
Scheme of backup
Veeam Endpoint Backup creates full backup copy and? the infinite? chain of the subsequent increments which are stored until the established period of storage will be reached (let will be N days). In day of N the last increment of chain registers, and on the following run of task of backup there will be following:
- The next increment will register as the latest restore point in chain (using one cycle of reading/record, as well as in direct incremental option). Thus the program of backup will automatically determine that the quantity of restore points on 1 exceeds the set limit;
- Further the program will establish, what the oldest file? it is the full backup copy saved at the beginning of creation of chain, and the oldest increment? the second in turn in chain after initial full backup copy (is newer, than full backup, on 1 circle of the set backup cycle);
- The oldest increment in chain will be implemented in the file of full backup copy, substituting the corresponding outdated data units. For this purpose 2 operations of reading/record will be required: one to read data from increment and the second? to write these data in the file of full backup copy;
- The file of increment will be removed from chain and its place will be taken by the updated full backup copy. It is possible to tell, what the oldest full copy will be step by step? to absorb? increments which storage life has expired.
Eventually similar operation will repeat over and over again in process of adding of new increments in chain.
It is possible to look at the animation illustrating work of this scheme of backup in article of the knowledge base? Forward Incremental? Animation of Method and Retention? in the section? Forward Incremental Backup Method?.
It should be noted that this method is selected by the only option from Veeam Endpoint Backup as is the most optimum from the point of view of minimization of the created load of the reserved system. This results from the fact that on average each unit of the reserved data demands three operations of disk input-output, and two of them are carried out in storage, but not on the reserved computer that leads to minimization of load of initial disk. It leads to that the reserved computer can start using intensively much quicker, than at other methods of backup, so in the course of work of task of backup disk loading from it is removed at once as soon as incremental changes are read. If reservation goes on house NAS, is substantially unloaded and the central processor.
Storage life of backup copies
If never to delete old backup copies, after a while the free space will end in any storage, whatever big it was. The event of the termination of disk space can suddenly occur, and lead to faulty situation. That is even worse, it can remain unnoticed long time as a result of which backup copies will not be created. We already described on Habré example of such real case in post? Case in Pixar or once again about importance of testing of backup copies?. Therefore it is important to configure at once policy of storage of backup copies in repository (Backups to retain).
In Veeam Endpoint Backup counting of storage life is conducted so: under the word? days? not calendar days, but those days when one backup copy has been successfully created at least are considered. For example, let at you it has been exposed? To store backups of 5 days? (option? Keep restore points for the last 5 days when computer was used?). Thus you have created 3 successful backups for the first three days of the week? on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday? and, let us assume, on Thursday and Friday the computer has been switched off. Then on Saturday you have again included it, and you on Saturday and Sunday had had 2 more backups. It turns out that 5 backups were created in 7 days. Then again there comes Monday, one more backup is created, and the earliest backup is removed as outdated. You have again 5 backups, as well as the policy orders.
Now we will look, what offers us step? Schedule? (Schedule). There are two groups of options? one allows to set frequency of start of backup, and the second? to tie start to certain event.
1) Daily backup (Daily at)? for example, at 2 o'clock in the morning. I will notice, what if the computer thus was in doze mode, its Veeam? will wake?, will make backup, and then will transfer the computer to status which you have selected from the list (it can be Keep running, Sleep, Shutdown or Hibernate).
Note: Transfer in the selected status works only at the selected option Daily at (that is at regular automatic backup according to the schedule); after the backup started manually such transfer will not be executed. Besides, consider the following:
- If the plan of power supply set in Windows on the desktop computer does not resolve it? to awake?, Veeam Backup will suggest it to correct.
- On tablet PCs Connected Standby is often set by default? for it automatic? awakening? too will not work.
2) Backup on event? there is choice when to begin backup: after Lock (blocking), Log off (leaving the system) and? When backup target is connected? (connection of flash card, external USB disk, or network pakpka with earlier saved backup copies). The last option means that the backup begins as soon as the carrier of backup copies becomes available.
It is useful: As such events can occur repeatedly during the day, it is possible to avoid too frequent backups on them? for this purpose we use setup? Backup no more often than every?. As a result the new backup will not start until time which has passed from the moment of the previous backup does not exceed specified (even if the backup on event which took place has been configured). It is possible, certainly, and to combine these options.
For today, perhaps, it is enough? and in the near future I will tell about recovery of information from the backup copies created by Veeam Endpoint Backup. It is possible to download product here: Veeam Endpoint Backup Free.
Only the registered users can participate in poll. Enter, please.
This article is a translation of the original post at habrahabr.ru/post/261481/
If you have any questions regarding the material covered in the article above, please, contact the original author of the post.
If you have any complaints about this article or you want this article to be deleted, please, drop an email here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe that the knowledge, which is available at the most popular Russian IT blog habrahabr.ru, should be accessed by everyone, even though it is poorly translated.
Shared knowledge makes the world better.