Raskovyrivayem compression of resources in Might and Magic III
3 years, 3 months ago
Not really well I remember how I have appeared in debagger of DOSBox and why I was picked the 16-bit assembler, recovering function of unpacking of the resource MM3.CC files – but it was healthy. Game at me has appeared on humble bundle, some of the last sales, and then in network I have come across Jeff Ludvig's page where the problems with game modification connected with compression in MM3.CC were described. In particular, the following has been written there:
It has appeared that it is quite difficult to crack this algorithm, and for the present nobody has learned to unpack these data.
The call has been accepted. In its article it is painted as he tried to struggle with algorithm. I will paint as it was done by me, and at the end I will give the reference to the utility with the open code which is able not only to unpack, but also to pack the MM3.CC file file.
Having looked at MM3.EXE, I have found out that it is compressed executable file of DOS, with certain uncompressed overlay at the beginning of which costs FBOV. I knew nothing about Dosovsky compressors, but I have spotted at Jeff Ludvig that he uses thing under the name "Universal Program Cracker" v1.11. I have found version 1.10 (issued on June 25, 1997) and have unpacked to ekha. And I managed even to process data of overlay correctly. And all the same I wanted to learn the name of pakovshchik. Have prompted to me that it is necessary to use the Detect It Easy program, and it is valid – it has given out:
EXECUTRIX-COMPRESSOR(-)[by Knowledge Dynamics Corp]
For fans of history I can recommend old branches of the discussions concerning this software – from 1991 and 1995:
Read more »